How to clean leather slippers - Ultimate Guide 2021
How to clean leather house slippers for men and women - 2021
Slippers are part of our life when we are at home as it give most comfortable and protective feeling once you slip into it. If you prefer quality over lowest price slippers then leather house slippers is what you must look for. Lets face it after several wear slippers for men or women start getting dirty and smelly, however have you ever wonder how to quickly and easily clean your pair of leather slippers? Some easy and simple method to clean your daily use home slippers.
- Rubbing away any dirt, dust or grime with soft dry cloth.
- For through cleaning use shoe polish brush to remove unwanted dirt of dust.
- Use mild warm water and soft sponge or cloth to clean insole of slippers.
- Sprinkle Backing soda or foot powder to get rid of stinky smell off your slippers.
- Use of tea bag, small wooden pieces or dry lemon or lime slices can be use to get a fresh smell on your cleaned slippers
- Use conditioner or impregnation spay after your clean your slippers to prevent any dust or dirt settling on upper leather.
Rubbing away any dust, dirt or grime before cleaning
One of the advantages of having leather slippers is the fact that leather is easy to clean. You can take a clean microfiber cloth to remove the dust, dirt and grime from your bedroom leather slippers.
The reason why we recommend using microfiber cloths is because some types of leather can be very sensitive and can easily get scratched. Soft fiber material can help in removing tiniest dust particle from surface of leather without applying too much of force.
If a spot just landed on your leather slippers, then take a clean rag or microfiber cloth to remove the spot as fast as possible. If those compounds or chemicals are fresh, they are easy to remove. But if you leave that spot on your leather slippers for a while, you will need comprehensive cleaning to get rid of it. That’s why we recommend you to clean the spot as soon as you see it, ideally as soon as it appears on your slippers.
Also, if you do want to remove spots from your leather slippers, you can go with spot cleaning and not cleaning the entire shot. Here’s what to do:
- Moisten the microfiber cloth
- Take some soap or leather conditioner and apply it to the damp cloth
- Now you want to use a gentle motion in order to remove the spots from your leather
You must pay close attention not to spread any dirt, as that can end up being rather problematic.
Using saddle soap to clean your leather slippers
Use saddle soap to clean inner of your slipper will give you some best possible and fast result in process of making indoor slipper as good as new . The process you can follow is actually quite simple to understand, and it requires just a couple of steps:
- Mix saddle soap and warm water based on the product directions
- Then you must add a soft cloth into the solution. Wring until it’s just a bit damp.
- You want to start wiping the exterior of your leather slippers gently. Try to do that in sections. Then you can go and wipe the interior. In case you have shearling lines in the interior, clean those separately once you cleaned and conditioned the exterior.
This process needs lots of attention too, that’s why it makes sense to split it in sections. Remember to condition the leather exterior of your slipper, as that will give the much-needed protection you want for a product like this.
Using sprays and conditioners for leather slippers
This is similar to what you would do to your leather sandals. If you have sandals made out of leather, you do want to use spray and conditioner for leather. These sprays will help keep the leather slippers look just like new. Leather needs some conditioning from time to time. You don’t have to do this often, once a month is more than ok. But if you compare leather slippers that were conditioned properly and those that didn’t have any conditioning session, you will spot a massive difference.
As we mentioned above, you also want to stay away from dust and dirt as often as possible. This way you will have to use the spray and conditioners less than you would normally. Proper maintenance is always important for leather slippers, even if they might not seem they need it. But if you do it right, results can be great in the end.
Can you wash leather slippers?
The short answer is no. Leather is not a material that will be with washing. In fact, washing it will cause all kinds of damage, and it’s better to avoid that as much as you can. The better approach is just to clean the leather slippers for women or men. This will keep them in a good shape, while removing any of the grime, dust, spots or any other compounds on it. Ideally you want to remove the loose soil from them with baby wipes or a damp cloth if you want, as that will work just fine.
Should you leave the leather slippers to air dry before you condition them?
Normally you just need to leave the leather slippers outside for 5-10 minutes at most. Then you can go and buff them with a soft cloth. Yes, there’s no specific requirements when it comes to drying your leather slippers, you just have to leave them outside for a little bit so the airflow can do its job and air-dry your slippers. Avoid using any heating utensils in your home, those might damage your slippers and leather will develop cracks due to direct exposure of heat.
Is it mandatory to add leather conditioner to your slippers?
While this is not mandatory, it’s highly recommended. You always want to make sure that you keep the leather supple and soft. Doing that naturally can be very hard. Which is why we tend to rely on leather conditioner. Try to find a commercial leather conditioner that suits your product, according to the manufacturer requirements. Sometimes the people where you got your mens summer leather slippers or open toe slippers for women will let you know what leather conditioner works for the product. So it doesn’t hurt to ask some questions, just to make sure that you get the best assistance and support. Leather conditioner will make your slipper shine and look like brand new, even if they are a few years old.
Can you wear the leather slippers as soon as they are cleaned?
Most of the time you want your leather slippers to air-dry for at least 3-5 hours before you wear them. The idea here is that once you clean your leather slippers, they are prone to stretching if you wear them right away. Which is why letting them air dry for as much time as you can is a very good idea.
Tips and tricks to help you keep your leather slippers clean for a long time
- If you’re serious about keeping your leather slippers clean, then you want to avoid wearing them outside. Once you take your slippers outside, they are prone to accumulate a lot of dirt, grime and unwanted compounds. That means you have to clean them more often. Plus, those things might end up damaging your slippers if you don’t clean them properly.
- Initiate a regular cleaning schedule. Once you get used to the idea of cleaning your leather slippers every week or once a few weeks, you will start doing it more often and that will help.
- Ideally, you want to wear some fresh socks before you go into your slippers after coming home. This way you will have a pair of socks you use with slippers, and you can prevent sweat or dust/dirt from being on your slippers.
- Ideally, you want to have more than one pair of leather slippers. This way you can wear them by rotation, which can help quite a bit.
As you can see, buying leather slippers for men is a very good idea, and it’s a resounding investment for sure. It does take a bit of time to get used to the idea of cleaning your leather slippers often, but this will help protect them from damage. Plus, using conditioner and sprays can help protect your leather, so you can use these slippers for years. Don’t hesitate and use these tips and tricks, they will help you keep your leather slippers clean and protected in the long run!